Happy Birthday Roshan!
You are one already. It just feels like yesterday that I gave birth to you and was having sleepless nights, not because you won’t sleep but I couldn’t stop looking at you in awe. It still feels surreal that you made me experience motherhood like never before.
You have been the easiest baby. You came to this world without causing mama any pain, and you have lived for an entire year so far and have not caused mama any trouble in any form. I had a terrible pregnancy. I was worried for you because I could not eat or drink for the first six months, but you came out with a very loud pair of lungs and energy that is so infectious. You light up everybody’s day and your smile, just heart warming.
Everybody knows you as the “happiest” baby in the world. On your birthday, we all started the day by having an early morning breakfast as daddy had to shoot off to work unfortunately. We opened some presents and daddy read you a book.
Later on, we went to the grove ferry with Reuben and Irene and the dogs. The park was empty and the sun was shinning. There were dandelions all around. You had a nice sleep in the sling.
When you woke up, you insisted we sat down. We played tickles with you, Irene made you a bouquet of wild flowers, you loved playing with dandelions. We watched a lot of birds together and you even tried to play ball with Pepper. In the afternoon, we visited Flo’s house and invited them to come over for some tea and cake at our house. Mama made you a nice chocolate cake (you devoured it). We sang you happy birthday, even daddy joined us on video call. It was so precious.
Your birthday celebrations did not stop at that. On the weekend, we threw you a huge birthday party. A lot of friends came to see you from far and wide. You were showered with so much love and presents. To be honest, you were slightly overwhelmed and the teething had given you a temperature, so you couldn’t be your own self that day. But people loved to see you nonetheless and enjoyed a lot.
This entire year has gone so quickly. You have learnt so much in just one year. There were so many moments that I have cherished with you. Some of them are already fading in my memory. But here are some of the fun facts that I remember about you and I know you would like to know them when you grow up. This is some of the ways you have about you that makes you so special:
- You love to feed everyone whatever that is you are eating.
- You are really the happiest baby we have ever seen. You must have cried less than 10 times in the entire year (most of which was for legit reasons like temperature, teething, falling etc). I honestly, remember three such instances: once when I accidentally burnt you. So sorry! Once when you were teething and had a temperature and once when you fell for the first time.
- Babies have a reputation for not sleeping well or waking up in the middle of the night all active and hyper. But you have never done that. You wake up for night feeds, but you have literally never woken up with your eyes open wanting to be taken down to play or chat etc. We all sleep through the night pretty much.
- Recently you have developed a new attachment towards daddy. You prefer to sleep in between the both of us, roll over to me for some milk and then roll back over to sleep with daddy. It is so endearing!
- You never threw up, not even whilst burping after a feed. Burp cloth? What is that for?!
- You tell us off or whinge or even start to cry everytime Pepper is told off. Pepper gets away with murder these days, all thanks to you.
- You also have learnt the trick to feed the dogs under the table. You are so cheeky that you call the dogs even when they are in their beds to come and eat food from you.
- It is no surprise your first proper word happens to be Pepper. You do say mamma and babba, but it is still all babbles but when you say Pepper it is very intentional, articulate and full of effort.
- Your second favourite thing in the world after Pepper are birds. You are fascinated by them. You can point them out and say, “buuuuuuuds”. If we ask you where is the bird, you find them and then point out to say, “theeeyyhh” Awwww (melts my heart)
- Your favourite song to watch happens to be this bollywood song called, “bum bum bole” from “taarein zameen pe”. If you find anyone on the laptop or phone, you start saying, “umm umm, umm ummm” and do a little bounce bounce as if you want them to put the song on so you can dance.
- You are very gentle with cats and dogs. You have never once pinched them or scratched them or pulled their tails. Unlike your mama, you really like cats. Cats love you too. So far, all cats have rolled over for you including the stray ones. I hope it stays that way!
- You are obsessed with daddy’s guitar. He is the coolest rockstar for you. You almost have a baby crush on him. You relate to the “beep beep” song that he used to play when you were in mama’s belly.
- You also have a quirky way of eating your biscuit. You love dipping it in my tea. It has to be done!
- You have always woken up just as mama sat down to eat. No seriously, every single time! Every single time! No seriously!
- You have one very annoying habit of twiddling with my other nipple whilst feeding on the other. If I move your hand, you boss me out by shouting.
- You have recently learnt to crawl up the stairs, and you love to climb all three storeys to get to Reuben’s room and play with his toys. You enjoy taking all his books off the shelf and empty his lego box and mess up his entire room.
- You love emptying all the cupboards in the kitchen. Well all babies do, but what you like the most is putting them back in. By the time you finish, the cupboard is a mess but you know what, they are all in the cupboard and I am grateful that I don’t have to do it.
- You also love emptying the washing machine for me. So after a wash I sometimes put you in front of the machine with a bucket, and you very happily empty it out for me. So thank you. Wonder how long will this last! I hope forever!
Honestly, the list could go on and on. There are just so many little details I don’t want to forget but I know I will with time. I hope you and I can read this together in the future and have a laugh about it.
We all love you so much. You have brought so much love to us all. You are the one who makes us a family. I hope you feel loved all your life and you carry on giving just the way you do at the moment.